I had a very rough idea about making a little bird decoration from my woven circles. This is what it looked like in my sketchbook.
And this is what I did – step by step – just in case anyone out there would like to make some of these too.
I think they could look quite nice hanging around – maybe on the christmas tree? (Sorry, I do realise it’s way too early to be talking about that)
1. Weave a circle in colours you love.
2. Make a fluffy ‘tail’. (Wind some yarn around your fingers, secure in the middle, fold in half, secure a bit more and trim)
3. Make some colourful braided ‘legs’ too.
4. Fold the woven circle in half and start to sew along the open edge. Don’t forget to attach the tail and legs and stuff with some fibre or poly-fill as you go (I put some nice smelling essential oils in the stuffing too!). And I made some extra stiches to fashion a beak shape.
5. Sew on some beads for eyes, maybe some tinkly bells for feet and lastly a loop to hang it up with.
And here is a baby bird too – made using my smaller weaving wheel.
Hope you enjoy x
2 thoughts on “Woven bird decoration – a kind of/sort of tutorial :)”
These are very cute and creative! They really wood make perfect Christmas decorations. I got my weaving wheel in the mail yesterday–thank you so much! I just like looking at it! I will try it out soon and let you know how things turn out!
oh my. I love these, I love them, I love them. weep.